Wednesday, April 05, 2006

I fought the law, and the law won, under new anti-terrorism legislation

Great story in today's free recycled Evening Standard rag, Metro.

An Asian bloke got a cab to an airport, and, en route, played some music from his MP3 player for the cabbie, who expressed an interest. The tunes played included 'London Calling' and 'White Riot' by The Clash and 'Immigrant Song' by Led Zep.

The cabbie thought it was all a hidden message, rang the police after he got out, and the Asian guy got stopped and searched at the airport under anti-terrorism legislation. ....

I have most of the Clash and Led Zep canon on my MP3 player (which is not an iPod). If they find out I am also carrying Machine Head ('let freedom ring with a shotgun blast'), the Manics ('Repeat after me/F*ck Queen and country') Johnny Cash ('I shot a man in Reno/ Just to watch him die'), a lot of Asian trance, and Leftfield ('Burn Hollywood, burn') I'm going to end up in Belmarsh.

I hereby charge you with possession of loud music, with intent to rock!

It says a lot about modern Britain that a cabbie thought an Asian guy listening to The Clash on his way to an airport was a terrorist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home