Thursday, August 25, 2005

Mandolinquency

I recently took up the mandolin, inspired by the 'O Brother Where Art Thou' soundtrack, Led Zeppelin and Thin Lizzy, and also because it's a damn sight easier to carry on public transport than a full size acoustic dreadnought, being roughly the size of a tennis racket. You get some odd looks if you openly carry a mandolin on the tube. Specifically, you get an old bloke smiling at you, and a girl who asks 'what is that', and, on being told, says, 'what, like Captain Corelli?'

It has been fun so far though and I go for my first lesson tonight. It would be nice though, if, on doing a Google search for matters related to the little instrument, I got something useful, not loads of Nicholas Cage fanpages and tour operator websites selling me holidays to Cephalonia.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kaptain Kobold said...

I tried the mandolin once because everyone else seemed to learn teh guitar and I wanted to be different. However since I have no musical aptitude it didn't last long. Makes a lovely sound, though.*

I am having a go at the didgeridoo now, as it doesn't require any musical skill as such. The breathing's bloody hard to do, though. As in, I can't do it yet.

*Except mine, which was never in tune.

6:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home