Tuesday, September 06, 2005

More on ID cards

This from the lovely lovely El Reg may be over a year old but it is still a worthwhile demolition of th case for ID cards. There is a particularly interesting dissection of the private sector's likely response to relying on a database that they are not in control of, and is in fact being run by people with a track record of IT cock-ups (see Lighthouses passim.)

The CEO of the company I work for has said to me, as our in-house IT bod, that we should try and get on the bandwagon for this as it is obvious the government is prepared to throw cash at it, and government cash is always great as it is a bottomless pit that tends to have very few (commercial) strings attached (as PFI companies know well.) This is something for an ethical dilemma for me as I am opposed personally to ID cards on both technical and ethical grounds. In fact, I have yet to meet a technically qualified individual who does like the ID.... that alone says something....

If ID cards to come through, buy shares in Sshlumberger and EDS. You heard it here first.

Perverse cartoon of the week: Red Meat

Car of the week: The Pembleton (want, badly)

Tune in my head: 'Turning Japanese' by the Vapours. And yes, I know what it is actually about....

1 Comments:

Blogger Oscar Wildebeest said...

What is it actually about?

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home